A while back I bought myself a copy of Anna’s (noodle-head) Compass Bag, purchased some sexy bag hardware and then….did nothing.
Maker Maker is a linen/cotton blend, often referred to as home-dec weight. This heavier, form-holding fabric is perfect for sewing bags, amongst other things.
The prints in this range are modern, quirky and somewhat Scandinavian in style – it was hard to narrow it down to just two! In the end I went with Stripes in Black for the body and Houses in Grey for the bag accents.
Some points on the pattern and how it went together for me.
Firstly, it’s a great pattern – well written and clearly illustrated. I would happily make more of these bags, and I can’t say that about all patterns I use.
I sewed the whole thing, from start to finish, with my walking foot and a size 90 needle.
I made the large size bag and went with the View A pockets as they looked easier (yup, I’m lazy). I tend to only keep lists and tissues and other non-valuable things in outer pockets – so the pocket flaps weren’t really a need for me. I didn’t make the interior zipper pocket, only the slip pocket (more lazy).
I also made the fixed length strap which is just my personal preference.
The eagle-eyed amongst you might be saying “so where’s the sexy bag hardware, Bonjour?”
Sigh. I wish I knew! We moved house in January and I can’t find where I put them when we unpacked. It was past shop-hours and I really wanted to finish the bag, so I cracked on without them. When they turn up it will be time to sew another Compass Bag!
I made a few mods so the lack of hardware wouldn’t stop me. I secured the strap end straight under the strap tab where the D-ring straps would have gone. I made sure the strap extended almost to the bottom of the strap tab so that it would receive further reinforcement under the “X” sewn across the strap tab. Then I pinned the other side of the strap in place and tested the bag across my shoulder to make sure I was happy with the length before I sewed it down.
Having the strap locked in place meant I had to make sure it was tucked out of the way when I sewed the bag lining and interior together, but that wasn’t hard. In fact, it was super helpful when it came time to turn the bag right-way-out. The handle is right there in the turning hole, so you use it to pull the whole thing through. Nice!
One thing I definitely need to work on is my topstitching. You can see below I should have moved my needle off centre so I could get closer to the magnetic clasp without it interfering with my walking foot.
Go home, walking foot, you’re drunk.
I used some lovely low-volume fabric from Carolyn Friedlander’s new collection Friedlander for my lining.
I also managed to sew the inner slip pocket over the wrong lining seam, but elected to leave it there as I like how I can pull my phone from the pocket without needing to undo the magnetic clasp. Sometimes mistakes are a good think 😉
Oh, and I did reinforce the corners of all pockets, interior and exterior, with a little satin stitch diamond. Just to give a little extra security to those areas that experience the most strain.
I really love how this Compass Bag turned out and I look forward to sewing Anna’s pattern again. Fingers crossed that hardware turns up soon!
Hope you have a great week,