Much like the plumber with a leaking shower, I once was a quilter without a quilt on my own bed.
But that sad state of affairs is no longer because I have recently finished, not one, not two, but three (!!) queen sized quilts for me, me, me (and the mister). And now that I’ve finally edited the photos, I’d like to show you the first one today.
The beautiful fabric you see there is called Whimsicöl Tide and is from Jeni Baker’s second fabric line, Nordika. As soon as I saw Jeni’s collection this fabric was the stand out for me – I loved the colours, the design, the Norwegian aesthetic – plus knowing how it would feel given it’s an Art Gallery Fabric – there was no doubt I needed this fabric all over my bed.
I’m happy to report this is the ultimate cheat’s quilt – the top only requires three seams. I took equal lengths of yardage of Jeni’s fabric and sewed them together in mirror-image fashion.
Fabric image courtesy of AGF
I didn’t make any attempts to match the patterns along the seam because 1. that would be crazy and 2. the flower haze did a great job of disguising the seam.
The topmost yardage had the larger flowers removed as I didn’t want to detract from their appearance at the foot of the bed. This left my quilt top rather short, so I extended it again with a strip of red fabric that closely matched the red on the panel.
I chose a thread to match the red fabrics because it helped to blend the two together (although a very close match, the reds in the panel and in the solid are not identical). I also really love seeing the quilting on the teal portion of the fabric.
The quilt was backed with a Carolyn Friedlander wideback (no seams, yay!) in a black crosshatch and then bound in more of the red solid. I even machine sewed the binding – a first for me (thank you, Rita, for your wonderful tutorial on this.)
I’m so happy with how this turned out. It was simple to piece and came together very quickly thanks to the lovely long-arm quilting and machine binding.